Silent Dream Scanlations

Welcome to Silent Dream Scanlations!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Silent Dream Scanlations

Welcome to Silent Dream Scanlations!

Silent Dream Scanlations

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silent Dream Scanlations is a scanlation project that has been launched by OtakuZone. Our purpose is to scanlate all of your silent dreams.

+2
NIGHTMARE
Noroko
6 posters

Good and Evil

Noroko
    Noroko

Dream Points : 6174

Good and Evil Empty Good and Evil

Post  Noroko Thu May 27, 2010 3:28 pm

What are exactly good and evil? Do they truly exist?
    Can a person be pure good or pure evil?
    Or does each person have a balance of both.

I think that everyone has the capabilities of becoming evil, or doing evil deeds, same with good.
    No one is pure good/evil. But some people are much more good or evil than others.
    This is probably due to a large number of factors, some being how they were raised, what they believe, their future, their education, the resources that are accessible to them, and other such things.

At the same time, a rich boy who steals pastry from a bakery because he thought it looked nice, and a poor starving kid who steals a pastry from a bakery to feed his hungry family...
    Who is the worst?
    Both did the same deed, and yet for different reasons. So I think that reasoning has a strong part to play as well.
    The 'why' of it all.

What do you think about good and evil, and why do you believe so?
    NIGHTMARE
    NIGHTMARE

Dream Points : 8173

Good and Evil Empty Re: Good and Evil

Post  NIGHTMARE Thu May 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Not just the way they were raised, I heard that your personality and actions get decided while in your still an embryo. For example, if your mother cried a lot during her pregnancy, you'd end up crying easily too. If she listened only to classical music, AND liked it, you most likely would like it too.

I've met friends who's had horrible parents. But they turned out to be the kind of person I would admire. I think the whole good and evil thing is based on the person's mental strength. Most people do things because they don't realize the consequences or understand/think about the feelings of others. For example, if you're in a fist fight, you would automatically think that your opponent is the one that's wrong and is evil, you wouldn't normally think about what that person's thinking or why that person's fighting.
    Nagihiko
    Nagihiko
    Scanlation Staff

Dream Points : 5877

Post  Nagihiko Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 pm

I think that this is a very controversial and philosophical topic u.u

I think the "why" (the reason) they did it is really the big decision factor, and an example would be like in fictional stories where the girl does all these bad things for a guy, like killing people, stealing, all because the guy was the one who taught her and was the only person she ever talked to. Then you could say the girl doesn't know any better, since all she knows is what that guy tells her.

A person -in my opinion- can't be Purely good or evil~
    muramasa13
    muramasa13

Dream Points : 5507

Post  muramasa13 Fri May 28, 2010 2:53 am

good is subjective
    as most things are
    there is no such thing as 'good' or 'evil'
    there is only what we perceive to be so
    a thought that differs from person to person
    I, for one, try not to focus on a person or their deeds as good or evil
    who am I to judge them?
    they did what they did for their own reasons
    for all I know, those reasons could be completely altruistic
    hawleyaw
    hawleyaw
    Scanlation Staff

Dream Points : 7980

Post  hawleyaw Sat May 29, 2010 2:04 am

muramasa13 wrote:good is subjective
    as most things are
    who am I to judge them?

I agree with mural. What a persons morale is what they were taught or grew up around. You could grow up where nothing was bad...and all was good. So basically the ideas of what is good and bad are passed down through generations. Who decided what was right and wrong will forever be a mystery. Someone random person could have just chose on a whim and told everyone else.

Makes sense in theory anyway....
    NIGHTMARE
    NIGHTMARE

Dream Points : 8173

Post  NIGHTMARE Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 pm

muramasa13 wrote:good is subjective
    as most things are
    who am I to judge them?

Even though you say 'who am I to judge them', Don't you do it automatically?
    I have friends that say that they try not to judge others but sometimes comes as an automatic reaction that they can't stop.
    EchoFaith
    EchoFaith

Dream Points : 5204

Post  EchoFaith Sun May 30, 2010 12:46 am

I see good and evil as whatever is respectively beneficial or detrimental to a community that is judging the action that has been or is to be taken. Good actions will consistently help the community, whereas evil acts bring harm to the community. Defined as such, there will rarely be an absolute good or absolute evil. However, it is possible to approach the absolutes in certain cases, when there is a very wide consensus on whether or not something is good or evil.

The way I see it, good and evil are not subjective to the person committing the act, but instead the community that will judge the act. A person's selfishness or altruism may affect how the community perceives the person, but a person will always consider their own actions as good unless influenced by a community to think otherwise.

hawleyaw wrote:
    I agree with mural. What a persons morale is what they were taught or grew up around. You could grow up where nothing was bad...and all was good. So basically the ideas of what is good and bad are passed down through generations. Who decided what was right and wrong will forever be a mystery. Someone random person could have just chose on a whim and told everyone else.

Makes sense in theory anyway....

Given the fairly high degree of agreement throughout the world on what is good and what is evil, I doubt that someone randomly decided on good and evil. When alone, anything that helps the individual is good, while anything that harms the individual is bad. However, when living within a community, the benefit one individual gains may be far less than the harm done to another individual. I feel that the ideas of good and evil naturally developed in the community life of ancient people to maximize the benefits to people living within that community while also minimizing the harmful acts.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 am